It’s free and easy to register your school – sign up here with your email address and a few basic details.
Creating your activity
Once you have logged in, click on the ‘Manage Opportunities’ button in the navigation bar, then click ‘Create New Opportunity & Invite’. Here you can input details about your activity – the number of volunteers, whether it’s virtual or in-person, and the year groups taking part. You can also add ‘Industry sectors’ and ‘Curriculum Subject’ to focus the activity on your topic learning or children’s needs. It’s good to include as much info as possible in activity descriptions so volunteers know what to expect.
Click ‘Save and find volunteers’ at the bottom right of the page, which will take you to the ‘Search for Volunteers’ page.
Search for Volunteers
- On the left-hand side of the search page, input your search preferences, for example, activity type, subjects, and job title. If you are creating a virtual activity, scroll down and tick ‘Virtual volunteers’ on the bottom left.
- You will see a map of the area around your school. You can also view volunteers as a list view – this is the easiest way of viewing virtual volunteers.
- Volunteers will appear as pins on the map. If there are multiple volunteers in the same area, you will see coloured circles with a number showing the number of volunteers. Click on these to see the individual pins.
- Click on the pins to see a volunteer’s profile.
- Add to Selection puts them in your shortlist of potential volunteers. This does not mean you are sending them a message.
- Review shortlist & invite allows you to view their full profile and send them an invitation.
- After you’ve sent invitations you can then go back to search for more volunteers for your opportunity, invite those left in your shortlist or Make Public so that volunteers can search for opportunities at your school and register their interest.
After the activity
After your activity takes place, schools complete automated feedback forms. We ask four or five questions about how the event went. We really appreciate receiving this feedback, as it allows us to quality check our volunteers and whether the service is working for both parties. We also use your feedback to report to funders, which will help to keep this service completely free to schools and volunteers.
Contact us if you have any questions about how to register or how you can use Primary Futures in your school: