Blackpool is a key area with the potential to grow social mobility and expand children’s future opportunities. By showcasing a diverse range of future possibilities, Inspiring Blackpool aims to open children’s eyes to what they could achieve.
“After I met the adults online describing their jobs I felt inspired. I liked how they said if you feel different it’s good because it’s what makes you you. Not everyone will be a rocket scientist, it’s about finding what you’re good at.” – Pupil at Baines Endowed Primary School
Following on from our 2016-18 work in the town, this project will reinvigorate Blackpool as a leading area of raising aspirations work at primary age to inspire other areas nationally, helping children see the range of possibilities open to them and motivating them around their learning.
Through in-person and online activities, Inspiring Blackpool will help schools link with role models locally as well as further afield to create tailored sessions which complement the curriculum and support their pupils’ needs. Drawing on the range of sectors and future opportunities in Blackpool and beyond, the project will expand children’s horizons and ambitions, all while challenging stereotypes they may hold about who can do different jobs based on their background.
Inspiring Blackpool schools will have access to:
- Planning: a call with our team to understand your school’s objectives and pupil needs to tailor the support
- Showcase taster events: multi-school virtual events termly including one themed on jobs related to Illuminations and on one digital skills
- Bespoke school-based activities: a bespoke live virtual session as a model for you to replicate with a theme or focus of your choice
- Training: upskilling for a whole school approach in your staff meeting, and an area-wide webinar to celebrate the project and share best practice
All Blackpool primary schools or all-through schools are eligible for 25 funded spaces and support is available to all Blackpool schools not within these 25.
To express interest in getting involved as a school, email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject ‘Inspiring Blackpool’
This project is a chance for the Blackpool community to come together after a challenging 18 months to re-engage children and help them to see the purpose in school subjects, igniting fresh motivation for their learning.
Inspiring Blackpool aims to leave a legacy of aspirations learning which can be sustainably embedded into the curriculum of schools across the town and continue to bring children’s learning to life in years to come.
Volunteering with Inspiring Blackpool
Children can be limited by what they see around them, and the pandemic has narrowed their aspirations further – Inspiring Blackpool connects schools with role models like you to enable children to envision new possibilities. By sharing your story, you can make a difference to the life chances of children locally and positively influence the narrative of Blackpool’s future workforce.
- Sign up to volunteer or log in
- Show schools in the area you’re open to volunteering virtually by going to ‘update profile’ and ticking ‘virtual volunteering’
- Spread the word to others in the area
- Keep an eye on invitations
- Watch our webinar on volunteering in primary: Starting early: the importance of broadening horizons for primary-aged children.